Thursday, January 18, 2007

Trying to Gain Weight


I lost a lot of weight. I'm thin as it is, but I was probably 50 pounds lighter; and if you're that skinny, your head starts acting sort of funny.


--Kevin Bacon


Ah, the dreaded CF topic of weight gain/loss. This is a never ending struggle for me. It seems as though I never have enough weight on my bones. Right now I'm so scrawny that my bottom hurts if I sit for too long. It would seem as though the simplest solution for weight gain would be to eat like crazy, but that's not as easy as it seems. Ever since my bowel obstruction in the hospital, eating is not exactly a source of enjoyment for me.

I used to be able to pack away a 2 cheeseburger meal and chicken nuggets and call that a snack. Junk food hasn't totally lost its appeal, but I don't crave it like I used to. I'm learning that food should be thought of as fuel, and not fun. That's not to say that I don't eat fast food anymore. Yesterday was an example of when the convenience of fast food makes the price seem reasonable.

I slept most of the day, which means I wasn't awake long enough to really do some "grazing" around the house. By the end of the day I was severely low on my recommended calorie intake (which, incidentally is upwards of 3,500) so I asked Brad to pick up some stuff from Jack in the Box for me. 2,200 calories later I was stuffed to the gills. I was glad I didn't have to prepare all that food myself, but I wish there was an easier way to pack on the pounds. I'm working on it though. (and by work, I really do mean WORK...it's a big effort and a frustrating one.)

Since I've got food on the brain lately, I've taken an interest in writing about it as well. Here are some links to articles about food nutrition and diet.

How Much Water in a Day?
Eggs
CF and Nutrition
Vitamin Supplements and CF

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

THEOOZE