Friday, December 29, 2006

Resolve to Help Others this New Year

Those who refuse to make New Year's resolutions because they always break them anyway miss the point. Making resolutions is a cleansing ritual of self-assessment and repentance that demands personal honesty and, ultimately, reinforces humility. Breaking them is part of the cycle.

--Eric Zorn


As the calendar page turns from 2006 to 2007, many of us will once again seek to remake ourselves into a better, happier, healthier person in the new year. We resolve to cut back on certain guilty pleasures and pursue those that are more fitness oriented. Local gyms will experience an influx of new members. However, come February many of those members will have settled back into their old habits and old routines, frustrated by their lack of stick-to-itiveness.

Studies have shown that a person who does not engage in activities that are “others” oriented is much more likely to experience bouts of depression. The good feelings that arise from helping others or contributing to something meaningful are enough to make even the chronically ill feel better.

With the freshness of 2007 still in your mind, consider making a resolution to help others and avoid the self-deprecating feelings that settle in once the initial surge of will-power has died out. Those who live in the San Diego area are encouraged to spend their energy helping the local chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation this year. There are dozens of ways to get involved. Here are just a few of special events to consider.

Breath of Spring Guild Gala

This black-tie event, held at the Hyatt Regency La Jolla, includes a lavish meal, live and silent auctions.

StairClimb

This year is the 25th annual StairClimb. Participants raise awareness for Cystic Fibrosis by climbing up all 32 stories of the tallest office building in downtown San Diego. Food and fun at the Survivor’s Party round out the event; awards and presentations are also made to the group.

Take me out to the ballgame! The 65 Roses® Sports Club has partnered with the San Diego Padres to raise money to cure cystic fibrosis. A nominal membership fee is required to join, and entitles members to 4 tickets to each of 6 games. Members are asked to pledge to donate $15 for every homerun the Padres score. Buffet food, snacks and the opportunity to have autographed photos with the players make for a winning combination for the participants and the CF Foundation.


Everyone who volunteers is of special importance to the Foundation and the cystic fibrosis community. Volunteering is a wonderful way to meet new people, make an impact in someone’s life, and ultimately, bring a little bit of something better to your particular corner of the world. The ways to volunteer are as unique as the volunteers themselves. It has been said that 90% of the work is just showing up. Imagine how far into the new year that remaining 10% can stretch.

Don't forget, you can also donate online to Great Strides, the largest CF Fund raising event via my Great Strides page. I plan to participate as an "Angel Walker" again this year and hope to raise more than $5,000 in for the CF Foundation through my letter writing campaign. If you would like to donate, please do so by following this link.

***
For more information about these events or other ways to volunteer your resources and time, please contact the San Diego CFF office at 858-578-2945 or stop by at 9820 Willow Creek Road, Suite 245, San Diego, CA 92131. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

THEOOZE