Saturday, December 23, 2006

Christmas Fun



And mamma in her 'kerchief and I in my cap,
had just settled down for a long winter's nap,




--Clement Clarke Moore










We've had plenty of activity over the last couple of days, but nothing too strenuous. I've been doing a good job of pacing myself and not expending every ounce of energy as soon as I get it. Last night my side of the family came down to celebrate Christmas. It was a real treat to host the festivities for the first time since we've been married. We set the table with our wedding china (the pattern, incidentally, is called "Wedding Band") and Mom let me borrow her Christmas stemware with the holly branches on it.

The party didn't go too late, but even so, it was more exertion than I'd had in awhile. Before long I had fallen deeply asleep on the couch. Brad said I looked like I was sleeping so soundly that he didn't dare wake me up. I stayed down there all night and didn't wake up until well after 10. Ahhhh...finally, a night of uninterrupted sleep.

For breakfast/brunch we tried out the new Belgian waffle iron. Wow! That thing really cranks out waffles in a hurry. I think it took less than 2 minutes for each one to be fully cooked. After that we got ready to go up to Mom and Dad B's for their Christmas party. Unfortunately, that one didn't go as planned. There was a big problem on the freeway (a police standoff and a hostage situation), and the rest of the family couldn't make it down so they ended up turning back. We were disappointed not to get to see everyone, but that didn't mean we didn't enjoy the time to ourselves with Mom and Dad. There was more than enough food for us. I think I have a new favorite jell-o dessert. It has fresh fruit (like strawberries) in the bottom portion, and the topping is a combination of sour cream, marshmallows and whipped topping (I think.) Now I know what to say the next time my mother-in-law asks if she can bring anything when we get together! Yummmmm!

Before dinner at Brad's folks, I had a chance to take a nap in the spare room. At first I felt weird taking a nap at someone else's house, especially when we were there for a party, but the rest did me good. I know they didn't mind at all that I needed a little break. I'm finally getting to the point where I'm not ashamed or apologetic to ask for what I need. I don't like to appear wimpy, but needing to promote good health is not a wimpy act--it's a wise one. Besides, the nap gave me the recharge I needed. I even felt good enough to drive home.

The drive home was nice and peaceful. The freeway was relatively empty. We made it home in a decent amount of time, and got some excellent mileage too. Since we drive a Prius, it's fun to see which routes are the best for achieving high MPG. Our current average is 54.3. Not bad, eh?

Once back home Brad promptly changed into his lounge pants and t-shirt (we call this "the jammy-ish). "The Sound of Music" was playing on television and we watched part of it together. Before long "The Sound of Snoring" filled the room. I looked over at the recliner and was not surprised to see that Brad was all sprawled out, contentedly sawing logs. His glasses were still on and the TV remote was secured beneath his folded arms. I couldn't resist--I had to take a picture. Isn't he cute?

Of course, one picture wasn't enough for me. I went off in search of Christmas ribbon and proceeded to decorate my sleeping husband. First I just put one bright purple bow on his head. "Click" went the camera. Stifling my giggles, I grew a bit braver. I went downstairs and retrieved a garland. I wrapped that around him but he began to stir just as I was about to snap a picture. I managed to photograph a very sleepy and disoriented Brad lifting the garland off his shoulders. After that he mugged a little for the camera and I did get a pretty cute one of him.

We do silly things like that together all the time. A lot of our best memories are of times we've spent just goofing around. We have a whole vocabulary of made up words that mean nothing to anyone except us. From the night we first met, humor and good-natured banter has been a big part of our relationship. Even though we've faced some very somber issues head-on in our time together, God always gives us a reason to smile. Not only do we smile, but we have the true joy that comes from a relationship with Jesus. As we continue to celebrate and create fun memories this Christmas season, I look forward to seeing what else God may have to teach us.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

THEOOZE