Monday, August 11, 2008

Knitting and Planning

I've been knitting lately. I learned how by watching a video on youtube. I love life in the technology age. It seems funny to me to be instructed in such a folksy art by means of an Internet connection.

I'm actually pretty good at it. I can't do anything fancy yet, but what I can do I do very evenly and smoothly. I'm not working on anything in particular. Mostly I just like the repetition and how it keeps my mind occupied. Without it I think I'd be going a bit crazy here at home. I don't really have much energy for anything else either, so this is a good fit.

Yesterday I did a bit better with stamina. I didn't feel nearly as wobbly going up and down the stairs. I think I'm more properly hydrated now too, because I don't get as dizzy when I stand up. I'm still not in perfect shape though. I went to the hospital today for some lung function tests. One was to see how well my lungs and heart perform while I'm exercising. The other was just the usual spirometry. I was very disappointed to find out that my spirometry showed that I was breathing about as poorly as when I was admitted to the hospital. On the plus side, I'm not in dire need of oxygen.

Next week (or perhaps later this week) I'm going for another test--and altitude simulation test. That will be useful for determining if I need supplemental oxygen on our trip to New York. Yes, that's right, NEW YORK! Brad and I have booked a very fun vacation that will include time with friends and a Broadway show. We went to NY 2 years ago, and I'm anxious to return.

Not much else going on today.

Comments:
It's good to hear from you here. I don't know how to knit. I never had any real desire to learn how living here in warm Florida.

I recently read a book, Comfort, by Ann Hood. It is the story of the loss of her five-year-old daughter. Someone told her to learn how to knit. She did and found it somehow therapeutic when nothing else had.

She then went on to write The Knitting Circle, or maybe it was vice versa...an interesting read.

I envy your trip to New York.
 
I learned to knit 2 years ago. I knitted a scarf that turned out well, but haven't done much since. If I try anything more complicated I keep forgetting where I'm at - I get too many interruptions. There is a great site I would visit that had a forum and they would answer questions and give helpful tips. I liked the repitition to it, too.

I hope that your clinic visit goes well this week and that your NYC trip goes GREAT. Aspiemom
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

THEOOZE