Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Sunshine and Flowers



Just living is not enough...One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.


--Hans Christian Anderson






Usually as my birthday approaches, I get a bit of the "gardening bug." It all started my freshman year of college at UC Riverside, when my friend Sheryl gave me a philodendron for a birthday present. I named it "Phyllis" and it survived long enough to accompany me on 2 moves during my scholastic career.

When I was 21 I was living with roommates in an apartment that had a bit of dirt where I planted some pansies. They met with an untimely end when a friend's little boy systematically stomped them all flat, one by one. Boys will be boys.

Next came "Leilani" the hibiscus. She did great on our patio in Escondido for almost a year. She met her demise in a Santa Ana windstorm. I bought a smaller hibiscus plant to replace her, but it just wasn't the same.

Now we are living in our first home, but we don't have a yard. I prowled around the garden department at Wallyworld (aka Wal-Mart) this afternoon looking for a suitable patio plant, but nothing struck my fancy. Currently the entry-way to our house is guarded by "Charlie," the Lone Gnome. Maybe tomorrow I'll see if I can find a bit of greenery that would look nice on my bistro table.

Then again, maybe I'll just spend my energy washing the windows and enjoying the spring sunshine!




Comments:
You do sound busy. I hope you continue to feel well. Lauren, I'm especially enjoying your Pools of Grace devotionals.
 
I didn't wash windows today after all; I did stand by and supervise while the passenger window of the car was replaced.

Oooooooooh.
 
Happy Birthday! :-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

THEOOZE