Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Kurt Vonnegut Dies at 84


Life happens too fast for you ever to think about it. If you could just persuade people of this, but they insist on amassing information.


--Kurt Vonnegut


Vonnegut, famed novelist and essayist died this evening at the age of 84. Vonnegut succumbed to head injuries he sustained as the result of a recent fall.

I wasn't a huge fan of his writing, but I did read some of his more notable works including Slaughterhouse-Five, Galapagos, and Cat's Cradle. I'm always intrigued by writers who initially pursue other career paths. Vonnegut majored in chemistry, and his older brother was a well-known atmospheric scientist.

Vonnegut's world view differed wildly from my own, which is probably why his works were such good food for thought. Galapagos in particular, stands out as being an utterly strange, yet provocative piece of writing. I may have to re-read it again soon.

My personal opinion is that reading anything by Kurt Vonnegut is like watching a David Lynch movie.








Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

THEOOZE