Wednesday, October 26, 2005

God and Science

Science is organized common sense where many a beautiful theory was killed by an ugly fact.--Thomas H. Huxley (aka "Darwin's Bulldog")


I couldn't resist posting again so soon after my first one, but I had to get this bit of information out there. I realize I'm opening myself up to the possibility of heated opposition on this subject, but that's something I'm willing to do.

Intelligent design in a hot topic right now. So many people are arguing back and forth about whether it should be taught in the schools, and whether there can be a happy medium of science and religion. Blah-dee-blah-dee-blah and so it goes. Let me make two things clear about how I'm formulating my opinion on this matter. 1) I have no reason to disbelieve certain scientific truths 2) I have no reason to doubt God's supremacy.

As a Christian who happens to be a scientist, I am to be honest, quite mentally and spiritually exhausted by trying to sort all of this out. Some day soon I hope to be able to set forth a well-informed bit of writing that may help bridge the wide gap between the scientific and the Christian communities.

In the meantime, chew on this: Darwin was very careful as to not include human evolution in his work "Origin of the Species". I know it's been about 6 or 7 years since I read it, and seeing as how it was written in the mid 1800's, the language was not very easy for me to absorb, so I don't pretend to be particularly well versed on the piece itself. However, I do know that Darwin wrote that "light will be thrown on the origin of Man."

Speaking from my Christian worldview, I have to say that I agree with Darwin on that point. Light has been thrown on the origin of man. I urge you to consider Darwin's remark, especially up against the backdrop of the opening chapter of the gospel of John.

Comments:
It’s a rare thing to find someone as generous and kind as you. Just when I thought I couldn’t love you more, you did that. Thank you for being so amazing!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

THEOOZE