Thursday, February 26, 2009

Where Has This Week Gone?

I can't believe it's Thursday already. On the one hand I feel like I just got home from the hospital (which was Monday) but then on the other hand it feels like more than 4 days have passed. I think part of what's going on is that everything really "clicked" together well for us on Monday. Usually getting released from the hospital is an all-day event. True to form my nurse woke me up at the unholy hour of 5:30 to draw some blood and tell me to take one of my oral antibiotics. I was just about to lie back against the pillows when one of the resident doctors came in and told me she was working on my release papers and that they hoped to get me out of there by noon. I wasn't going to hold my breath.

One of the trickiest parts of getting "sprung" is that there are SO MANY medications that need to be picked up at the pharmacy before we leave. In times past the doctor would fax the order down to the pharmacy, except he'd do it mere minutes before I walked out the door. This typically results in us having to wait around an hour or so for everything to be filled--that is, if they even have everything I'm supposed to get. More often than not, we leave the pharmacy with 80% of the meds I need. This time is was incredible. Not only was I able to physically walk my prescriptions down to the pharmacy myself, but they were READY when Brad went to get them. Oh, and yes, we were out of there by noon!

I came home to a beautifully cleaned house and a pair of happy bunnies. Good job, Brad! I love it when you show me you love me by doing those sorts of things. I also appreciate when you tell me to "rest and don't move" from the dent I've made in the couch.

So, that was the beginning of the week. It's now Thursday and I've had a great day. I did a bit of straightening up in the guest room, went to the gym, and had time to write a couple of new health articles. This morning I had my last appointment with Dr. Moutier (not a CF doc). I'm going to miss her. She was always so good at helping me navigate the choppy waters of bipolar disorder. It was great to end on a positive note with her. Brad came with me to the appointment. I like that he does that. He means so much to me; I love knowing that all facets of my life are looked upon with total and complete acceptance by my husband. I used to be annoyingly independent with all my CF stuff, but over time Brad has helped me understand that he loves me enough to want to bear the burden of the crappy stuff with me. What a guy!

After the appointment with Dr. M, I headed over the CF office to pick up some long term disability forms that they had filled out for me. It was oddly freeing to read on that sheet of paper that my doc doesn't want me to return to work. I know I've mentioned that issue before, but I'm finally at peace with it. I've gotten a taste of what it's like to feel well, keep house and keep my hubby happy and still have leftover energy during the day. Granted, naps are now a permanent part of my afternoon, but even so, I'm not exhausted all the time. God is good. Life is good. Brad is good. All is right with the world!

Oh! Something else cool happened today. Genentech (the makers of Pulmozyme) sent out its press release thing about me. I'm the Hero of Hope for the month of January. It's truly an honor and I'm blessed to know that God is working through me to minister to the CF community. Here's a link to the write-up and the podcast. (Beware, the sound quality of the podcasted interview isn't so hot.)

HEROES of HOPE: Lauren's Story

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

THEOOZE