Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Thoughts on Being a Part-Time Employee

Today has been a pretty good day. I woke up quite a bit later than I wanted to, but that's okay. I stayed up too late last night talking to Brad and decompressing from the baby shower I went to on Saturday. (More about that in another blog...maybe)

So, I slept long and hard and was actually warm enough during the night for the first time this week. It's been a lot colder here lately, and me being the typical southern Californian, I turn into a popsicle if the temperature drops below 65. Last night I practically needed the jaws of life to pull back the blankets on the bed so I could crawl in! There were no fewer than 6 layers on the bed. Tonight I think I'll wear my longjohns underneath my flannel pjs.

I'm so glad I work part-time now. I'm so much calmer and less stressed. I love the freedom of being able to say "I can't do that now, but I'll be back on Tuesday," and not have to try to scramble to get something done before I leave at night. Also, being part-time, my supervisor knows that he needs to be aware to assign me only the short-burn projects, and not the long drawn out ones. My personality craves variety, so this new aspect of my work schedule is particularly enjoyable and suits me well. It's less frantic and less crazy-making.

I realize now that I have always pushed myself just a little too hard. In some ways that has been advantageous. If I hadn't pushed myself so hard I wouldn't have finished college or pursued my chosen career. If I hadn't pushed myself to stay healthy and do my treatments, I would miss out on so much more of the "normal" stuff that I get to do, like entertaining guests in my home, volunteering with the CFF, or even going to writers' conferences.

The biggest blessing I'm seeing right now from being part-time is that it's really developing my character and making me a better wife. I have the time (and usually the energy) to put a hot meal on the table every night. Tonight's fare is tri tip, mashed potatoes and veggies. I'm able to spend my days off taking care of little things around the house, like keeping Gimli's play pen neater, so that my husband comes home to a neat and clean place.

I'm glad we're at a place in life where we can afford this change in lifestyle. It came at the perfect season in life. I'm reminded continually how God works in my life and provides for my best interests at all times. Even the yucky stuff serves a greater purpose and teaches me something about myself, and ultimately, about God.



Comments:
Lauren,
I am so glad you are doing well. I don't have your e-mail on my web address book, so I would appreciate it if you would e-mail me. Sarah was hospitalized on Monday. She had a port placed on Thursday. She is recovering nicely, but I have some questions for you. Thanks for all your help and support. God has truly blessed me with you in my life.
Love and Light,
Christy
 
This is a very useful post shared by you. Thanks for providing such a valuable information with us.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

THEOOZE