Monday, March 06, 2006

Status Report

Waiting for the fish to bite or waiting for wind to fly a kite. Or waiting around for Friday night or waiting perhaps for their Uncle Jake or a pot to boil or a better break or a string of pearls or a pair of pants or a wig with curls or another chance. Everyone is just waiting.

Theodor Geisel

Well, today was not my day to get a bed at the hospital. But that's okay. I don't mind waiting for a bit. It's nice to be able to prepare myself mentally for what lies ahead. My mom came to spend the day with me just so I wouldn't be by myself, and so that if I did happen to get a bed then Brad wouldn't have to drive home to get me--he'd just be able leave work and meet us at the hospital.

But, like I already said, that wasn't the case. Mom and I did a bit of pre-hospital shopping (jammies, slipper-socks and a sooooo cozy robe). It's nice to have some designated duds for hospital cooties. I think the walking around and trying clothes on helped keep my blood sugar under control.

That's been the major concern the last couple days. On Friday night I was feeling particularly icky. I was shaky and feverish and PARCHED. I should have guessed from my extreme thirst what was going on, but for someone who eats as many pretzels as I do, being thirsty is sort of a constant thing. My blood sugar was well over 400. For those of you who don't know what that means, it means that I was in trouble. Since my last oral glucose tolerance test showed that I wasn't diabetic, I was quite shocked to see such a terrible "score." I had some old insulin from the last time I was on prednisone and having freakishly high blood glucose levels, so I began self medicating with that just to keep things under control until I could get in touch with the doctor.

Please note that this is not an endorsement of self-medicating for any purpose.

I was unable to get my numbers under control. However, I anticipate that will be a relatively easy fix once I'm under a doctor's very watchful eye in the hospital. In fact, I think this hospital visit will be a piece of cake compared to last spring. The last time I needed a tune up I was back and forth to the hospital 2 times in a very short period of time (3 if you count outpatient surgery and a visit to the ER. ) I think I only was able to work 10 full days in a 4 month period.

This time I'm anticipating a 10-14 day tune-up with IV meds Tobramycin and Fortaz. Brad and I call Fortaz "KTP" because we think it smells like cat urine. Kitty pee--get it? Trust me, you'll laugh to yourself about that one later. With a little luck I'll be back to work within 3 weeks and I'll be rip-roaring to go for a trip to Oklahoma.

Well, for all my big talk and my seemingly positive attitude, I realize that I'm up far too late and that's probably because deep down I am experiencing some anxiety about going to the hospital. It's a routine thing for me, but that doesn't mean it's enjoyable. The fact that it's routine does not make it any less of an upset or an inconvenience to my regularly scheduled life. On the other hand, knowing what to expect of the whole deal is comforting.

Plus sides of being in the hospital:


Current mood: anxious
Current Snack: American cheese with mustard
Health-o-meter: Are you kidding me?
Emotional weather: clear skies

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?