Thursday, February 23, 2006

Our Road Trip to Central Valley


Using a camera appeases the anxiety which the work-driven feel when they are on vacation and supposed to be having fun. They have something to do that is like a friendly imitation of work: they can take pictures.

--Susan Sontag







For the first time in several years, the weather and my health were conducive to a road trip up to Central Valley to visit my extended family. On the way up we also visited my best friend from childhood and her husband; on the way back we stopped in to share a cup of coffee with my parents' friends who used to own a dairy down the street from us.

The trip was an excellent opportunity to try out our digital camera. There's something really gratifying about being able to take so many pictures and not have to wait to see how they turn out. This is especially great for someone like me, who has a tendency to decapitate my subjects thanks to faulty use of the camera's viewfinder. With our new camera, I don't waste all that film!



Our trip was very action packed, but in a good way. We don't get to see that side of the family much at all, so it was fun to see everyone individually throughout the weekend. We went out to dinner one night with some couples whom I knew from my summer camp days with my cousin; on Sunday we saw lots of people who used to live in Southern CA and had gone to the same church as my family. It was a blast from the past!



The weather was colder than I had expected, but we survived. We hit some bad traffic and heavy rain on the trip up, and just a sprinkling of snow on the return trip. I think Brad enjoyed being the one to drive the Prius for a change! I enjoyed being able to nap in the car a bit. We didn't even fight over the radio.



As much as we enjoyed seeing family and friends, I think next time we do a roadtrip we'll do something that's just the two of us (and doesn't involve cows!)





Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

THEOOZE