Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Are We Having Fun Yet?


A hospital ... is a parked taxi with the meter running.
--Groucho Marx




Today is lab day. At 8:30 p.m. last night I had to stop eating and drinking in anticipation of the dreaded Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT). Why is it dreaded? Several reasons. The main reason I loathe this test is because I have a tendency to become excessively crabby when I am hungry. The test consists of drawing some blood to see what my blood glucose levels are initially. Then I have to drink a bottle of the most disgustingly sweet orange "soda" known to man. I honestly cringed just now as I thought about it. Two hours after drinking it, I go back to the lab for an additional blood draw. Then I wait on pins and needles (no pun intended) until I get the results that will tell me whether or not I have Cystic Fibrosis Related Diabetes (CFRD). I'm fairly certain that I don't have it yet, because if I did I'd be feeling very lousy and excessively thirsty like I did when I had medication-induced transient diabetes.

But wait, that's not all! I also got to cough up a lovely sputum sample for the lab. That part always seems sort of funny to me because the nurse at the desk hands me the sample cup and tells me to come back and let her know if I've been "successful." Honestly, with CF, how could I NOT be successful in coughing up a nice juicy one for the lab techs to play with?

After the lab, it was off to the radiology department for chest x-rays. I've had so many of those in my lifetime that I'll probably start glowing in the dark eventually. Oooh, maybe I'll get x-ray vision. That would be sort of cool. Speaking of cool, there is really no way to be warm and/or comfortable in a hospital gown. However, I've got a handy little tip that may help. Ladies, if you know you're going to be having an x-ray, wear a pullover sports bra to the appointment. If it doesn't have any metal hooks or an underwire, you get to keep it on underneath your gown. This helps preserve your dignity and modesty (especially if the rad tech is a guy). It also provides some additional warmth in that cold, lead lined room.

This afternoon at 2:30 I have an appointment for my annual PFT stuff which will include--according to the paperwork--a 60 minute screening, and a 45 minute rest and exercise with pulse oximetry. I have NO clue what that means. I've never done those before. I'm guessing it's like a treadmill test or something. I guess I'll find out soon enough. The paperwork says to wear comfortable clothing an walking shoes, so I've got a gymbag packed.

I'll let y'all know how it goes!


*UPDATE* My FEV1 was 78% (which is normal! woohoo!); the oral glucose tolerance test turned out fine, and best of all, I gained 2 kilos, which brings me up to my target weight of >120lbs.

***
Current mood: moody blues
Current snack: *sigh*
Emotional weather: stormy
Health-o-Meter: 85% of baseline



Comments:
Oh..that orange soda is terrible, I feel your pain my friend!! I do have a hard time getting a sputum sample though I really can qount the times I have been able to actually give one, I don't know what is the problem, i am not a big cougher either, its not that I don't have stuff in there it just dosen't move. I am waitnid for an e-mail from you there is something in particular I want to ask you. I hope you are having a blessed day!!
 
Montair 10 Tablet is a physician endorsed medication utilized for asthma counteraction and the treatment of sensitivity indications, for example, wheezing and runny nose. It lessens aggravation in the aviation routes and makes breathing simpler.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

THEOOZE