Friday, July 03, 2009

Blogging From My Bed


Over the last couple years that I've been in and out of the hospital, I've struggled to make use of their limited Internet connection. Imagine the scene: hooked up to oxygen and an IV pole, I precariously balance my lap top on any surface that seems sturdy and attempt to browse the web. Sometimes I would have tremendous luck and would be able to send and retrieve emails, do some work, and maybe even download a song or two.

Welcome to the next level of hospital convenience! The state-of-the-art hospital where I am a patient has finally figured out that being disconnected from the outside world just stinks. In recent months they have been working hard to get an internet wi-fi connection available for patients and their visitors.

Tonight I'm blogging from my bed while sitting comfortably. Getting online was pretty simple and I'm thankful for that.

Today was a good day. I got some much needed sleep last night and was able to take cat naps well into the morning. I think I dozed off and on between breakfast and lunch, and was good and ready for company by the time Brad decided to show up. The bright spot in my day (that is, the one other than that who answers to the name of Brad) was when my friend Tiffany called. Now that I have an iPhone it's much easier to keep in touch with everyone when I'm stuck in here. Tiffany is one of my gal pals from a prayer group I used to belong to. The group has long since dissolved as God has seen fit to scatter us around the country. Still, we all keep tabs on one another to some degree. I'll definitely be keeping Tiffany's number on hand since she's now a Mary Kay rep. (Anyone else need her I'd be happy to pass along her number and her Mary Kay website!)

On the lung/breathing side of things I'm still struggling. I tend to desat (that means my oxygen level in my blood goes low) when going for a walk, even if I'm walking with oxygen. That's a bit concerning. Today was also a day for starting a new round of drugs. I'm on a combination of both intravenous medications and oral ones. The reason for doing a combination is because the synergistic effect of multiple meds can often be more effective than if trying only one antibiotic at a time.

Mentally I'm in a good place. I've been getting my evening medications on time, most of which are anti-anxiety/anti-depressant meds. Believe me when I say that having those types of things on board goes a long way in keeping me from being restless and worrisome. They really help me cope and are just as an important part of my therapy as having phone calls and visitors, antibiotics and chest physiotherapy.

So here I am, blogging from my bed in hospital, thankful to be connected to the rest of the world. It stinks being here, but with a wi-fi connection and an iPhone I can't complain.

Comments:
So glad to hear you have wi-fi!!! I am not so glad to hear that you are using it because you are in the hospital again. I thought you looked so good, especially with your gym workouts.

Praying for you!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

THEOOZE