Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I Like Being a Wife


I prefer the word "homemaker" because "housewife" always implies that there may be a wife someplace else.


--Bella Abzug






My husband and I seem to have hit upon a routine that works well for both of us. Brad has been reading the book "Getting Things Done", and has been putting some much appreciated effort into maximizing his time management skills. Instead of working out in the morning and making himself feel rushed, he works out in the evening on his way home from work. This means we eat dinner a little later than we used to, but it's worth it.

I really enjoy the opportunities I have to love my husband in seemingly mundane ways. I know he appreciates a neat, clean home, so I do what I can to minimize clutter in the living room and kitchen. I'm finding that the more time I spend doing my job as a wife, the more I enjoy it. I almost think I was born in the wrong decade. I thoroughly enjoy planning and preparing meals, keeping house, ironing my husbands shirts, etc.

And no, doing all this "woman's work" type stuff does not make me feel oppressed. Quite the opposite actually. My husband holds me in such high regard and treats me like a princess, and that's what makes me want to do those household things for him. I like being a wife, but it's more than that. I like being my husband's wife--his helpmate, his companion and his friend.

Some days I just don't have the energy resources available to me to do all those things, and that's okay. My husband is just as capable and willing when it comes to keeping our household running smoothly. That's what makes our marriage such a wonderful partnership. He fills in the gaps for me, and I fill in the gaps for him. Our life together is a living, breathing example of what it means for "the two shall become one."

Comments:
Thank you for being such an inspiration to me and others around you. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

THEOOZE