Monday, October 10, 2005

Busy, Beautiful Weekend

Marriage wasn't designed to make you happy; it is to make you holy.
--Martin Luther


This weekend was the kind that made me tired in a good way. It was just the right combination of activity and rest, along with some thought provoking experiences.

Friday evening my adoring husband took me downtown for the symphony. Transcendent is a word that hardly does the evening justice. I have never been so enthralled by music as I was that night. I was familiar with all the pieces that were being performed, which was a change for me. I think now I understand why my husband likes to review a song's score before we go to a concert. Familiarity adds to appreciation I think.

We didn't get home until after midnight and I slept like a log. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

On Saturday morning (and by morning I mean practically the afternoon) my pal Liz called and reminded me that I had wanted to walk a couple of laps around Target in search of a wedding present. I got dressed in about 5 minutes flat, and off we went. Liz amazes me. She has such an incredible heart for God. She is one of those people who has the light of Christ just absolutely shining out of them from every pore. Then again, maybe that's just the pregnancy glow she's got going on right now. Either way, it makes her beautiful!

After Target (pronounced Tar-jhay) and a little "green straw therapy" from $tarbuck$, we parted ways. Brad and I hopped into the car and headed up to our friends' wedding.

The wedding was beautiful. Simple, elegant, classy, and best of all, worshipful. I love Christian weddings, mostly because they remind me of how deep God's love for His church is. As I listen to couples speak their vows, I reflect on the promises that God has made to me to provide for me, love me, protect me and give himself up for me.

I also like weddings because they remind me of the awesome marriage that my husband and I have. We always hold hands for much of the ceremony, and I love it when he squeezes my hand when the couple repeats the "in sickness and in health" part. I wonder how many couples actually reflect on that phrase and how many just repeat it because it's standard. Brad and I know full well that "in sickness and in health" doesn't just mean that we promise to bring each other chicken soup when one or the other has the flu. We've already had plenty of experience with health issues that other couples our age have never even thought of yet. I think, no, I know that our marriage is stronger because of it.

God has blessed us a lot. I can't stop smiling because of it. *insert permasmile here*

Comments:
oh gosh Lauren...I thought I was putting my comment on this post, oh well it is down below...have a great day!!!
 
Thank you again for your flawless service, and I look forward to working with you in the future. To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

THEOOZE