Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Hotternell and Dry as Toast

If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?


--Steven Wright



This week I'm out of the office, out doing field assessments for the Army Corps of Engineers. The last time I did this type of work was two years ago exactly. The weather then was rainy, freezing, and miserable. Rainfall was torrential to the point of bringing about 100 year flood conditions. This time the weather is dry, hot and miserable--the makings of another 100 year record. Personally, I think this provides a good example of the how dynamic our earth's climate is. I am not one who is particularly alarmed by all the global warming hype. My personal opinion is that things will always be shifting. We may be experiencing a warming period in the short term (and by short term I mean decades) but in the long-term (which I base on geographical age of the earth) it's likely that things will cool down again.

This isn't saying that I have adopted a defeatist attitude about the health of our planet. I think we are all responsible to be good stewards of what we have. On the whole, I support conservation measures. I drive a Prius, I recycle things like cardboard, cans and plastic--but I'm not a bleeding heart about such things. I'm not picketing to save the rainforests or hugging trees or anything like that. My car isn't covered in bumper stickers that display environmentalist hype. I'd much rather put my energy into things that have lasting merit--like my relationship with my husband for example. Husbandis wonderfulness--now that's what I call an endangered species.

Well, the heat has apparently affected my brain cells, so before I end up writing anything truly weird, I'm going to conclude this post.

By the way...would all of you who were so kind as to pray for no rain during my week out please stop now? I appreciate your zeal, but enough already!

***
Current Mood: spirited
Current Snack: BBQ chicken sangwich
Health-o-meter: 96% of baseline
Emotional weather: clear skies, cool in the evenings

Comments:
Thank you for being such an inspiration to me and others around you. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

THEOOZE